Bude Community Cinema- Run by the community for the community
© Bude Community Cinema - Page last updated 02 December 2012
Bude Community Cinema
Bringing films to Bude
Bude Community Cinema is a not-for-profit voluntary organisation and registered charity (1939583)
BCC message line
The number to use to reserve tickets or leave a message
0845 874 0168
A brief history
• March 2008: The idea for a film society was floated - aiming to fill the gap left by the closure of the local Rebel Cinema in 2007. The name Bude Community Cinema was chosen to reflect our role within the community. It was thought that in a town of over 10,000 people there should be enough who want to see films - and to help run them - hence the strapline "Run by the community for the community".
• September 2008 to February 2009: Carn to Cove (C2C), Cornwall’s Arts Touring Scheme, booked a season of five films and BCC volunteers took on the task of local organisation - to publicise the films, sell tickets and manage front of house. Initially we aimed to run a film evening every month - usually a Friday, at the Parkhouse Centre in Bude. In time, assuming there is both demand and support, more films will be shown.
• 19th November 2008: BCC was formally constituted. Those in the ‘steering group’ became members, adopted a constitution and elected a committee. This enabled BCC to open a bank account, plan future film programmes, develop a membership scheme and, most importantly, to seek funding for our own projection equipment.
• February 2009: An award from National Lottery (Awards for All) of £7800 for projection equipment was confirmed.
• March 2009: BCC's first programme of 6 films (March to August 2009) started, and details of our membership scheme were announced.
• October 2009: A survey was carried out via our Mailing List seeking feedback on how we’d done in our first 12 months. Click here to see the full report (PDF 4 x A4)
• November 2009: BCC was awarded a Commendation in the Best New Society category of the BFFS Film Society of the Year Awards 2009.
• 30 December 2010: Our application to be registered as a Charity was confirmed. As a small local voluntary organisation, it’s important that we optimise all income streams to support the operation of a community cinema. See more information on the Fundraising page.
• Bude Partnership’s Strategic Plan for Bude includes proposals to explore the viability of a multi-purpose community arts centre for concerts, shows, a cinema etc.
• The old picture house site in Burn View is a possibility, or other developments may include a community building. Any such scheme will take years to reach fruition, so for the time being, films are likely to be shown at the Parkhouse Centre and possibly at Budehaven School.
There are several ways you can be part of Bude Community Cinema
• Perhaps you might like to join the committee and help run the show?
• Or possibly volunteer to help as a steward on film evenings or in other ways?
• Become a Member and have a say in the way BCC is run (and save money on tickets)
• By being in the audience on film nights, with family and friends - and submit film suggestions too!
• And by helping with Fundraising - whether by donations, support via Gift Aid, or other means.
More information on other pages - and details of how to get in touch are on the Contact Us page
|History of cinema in Bude|